Group Size: 1 to 50+
Time Needed: 15 to 20 minutes depending on group size
Goal: To build group cohesion through fun and teamwork and to showcase creativity within the group
Audience: Couples, Parents, Teens, Children, Singles
Special Considerations: This is a very fast-paced exercise and people will move around a lot. People generally come up with very funny things and laugh a lot.
Resources Needed: Several poems, limericks or song verses that contain only five linesIndex cards
- Prior to class, write every line of the first four lines of each poem/limerick/song verse on its own, separate card. For example, “Mary had a little lamb” would go on one separate card while “Its fleece was white as snow” would go on another card.
- Mix cards and hand them out to each person.
- Have participants move around the room to find the rest of the lines for their poem, limerick or song.
- Instruct the group to make up a new and interesting fifth line.
- When everyone has done this, have the groups take turns reading their five lines aloud to the others.
Tips for Discussion and Processing
This is a fun activity for group cohesion and to illustrate the importance of working together. It is also a good way to discuss how a group usually generates more creative energy than just one person.
Note: These activities can be modified to reflect a variety of skills.