You may want to review all of the information in this Stage 1 before your work through this exercise.
During this stage, you will work with your evaluator to:
- Develop a final list of evaluation questions
- Develop an appropriate evaluation strategy
- Identify necessary data elements
- Identify measurement tools that allow you to answer your evaluation questions
- Prepare for data collection by developing data confidentiality and control procedures
This stage of the tour contains information on types of evaluation and data collection strategies. Its purpose is to teach you some basic evaluation concepts and terminology so that you can work with your evaluator to design an evaluation that best meets your needs.
Your evaluator will need to translate your "wish list" of evaluation questions into a final list that reflects you and your stakeholders' top priorities and that can be addressed given time, budget, and political considerations. There are many technical issues involved in this stage, so make sure that your evaluator explains things in a way that is understandable. As the expert on your program and the evaluator's client, you play a critical role in ensuring that your evaluator designs an evaluation that meets your needs-that is, addresses your key evaluation questions in a way that is both feasible and scientifically sound.
Learn more about
- Establishing your role during the designing
- Design options
- Collecting data elements
- Methods for collecting data
- Preparing for data collection
- Reality Testing
- Creating a work plan
- The 2002 User-Friendly Handbook for Project Evaluation National Science Foundation
- Developing process evaluation questions. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Harrel, A., Burt, M., Hatry, H., Rossman, S., Roth, J. & Sabol., W. (n.d.). Evaluation strategies for human services programs. Washington, DC: The Urban Institute.
- "Evaluation Resource Guide for Responsible Fatherhood Program," Office of Family Assistance.
- Data Collection Methods, the Compassion Capital Fund National Resource Center
- Checklist for Data Collection Design, the Compassion Capital Fund National Resource Center
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families, Office of Planning, Research & Evaluation. The Program Manager's Guide to Evaluation Glossary.